Yesterday was a day that was overflowing with information. It was our first official day and the morning as filled with a meeting with Mina and Eszter - lots of information to absorb!! In the afternoon we got the practical tour of Sangam- where to do laundry, how to turn on the pool lights, how take away lunches work, etc...
But after that I finally got to have a dip in the pool. yesterday was comparatively cooler and a lot of the girls were wearing sweaters (or "jumpers" :P), but it was still warm enough for a swim in my books... but i was getting some funny looks! especially from the local staff who thought I was crazy to go swimming on a cool day in winter!
A group of lovely older ladies from the UK joined us right before supper so it was great to meet them. For the rest of the week, we'll be having sessions with them, like going shopping on MG road and we have the option of tagging along to some of their sightseeing things.
This morning we went exploring the phulenagar neighborhood across the street (Phule = Jyotirao Phule who helped a lot with getting education for women mainstreamed and Nagar = neighborhood). It's more of a middle-class neighborhood, Priyanka grew up there (she works here). We visited some temples and we visited the home of one of Sangam's employees. 11 people lived in this tiny little house that was so neat and clean and SO organized! It was amazing!
There was also a lot of beautiful Rangoli to be found. Rangoli is a design formed with coloured sand or powder that people get up really early in the morning to put on their front step. It welcomes guests and the gods into the home. (click on the picture to make it bigger)
We also saw a bit of the neighborhood next door but i can't remember what it's called... anyways, it's not as affluent an area as across the street. It's the same size as Sangam - about 7 acres, but 10,000 people live there, including some of the sangam staff.
I'll get some more photos off of Lindsay - she had her camera out more than i did.
For the worriers who are reading, I'm good! I haven't gotten sick or anything, and I'm enjoying it so far. I apparently didn't bring as many shirts as I thought, though. So I'm going to have to get some punjabi suits made up when we go shopping tomorrow (maybe a couple of plain ones for working at the creche and a nicer one for out and about). I'm also hoping to find some nice material for a sari or two!
I'm nervous about next week when we start at the Creche sites. The teachers apparently speak very little english, and we're going to be by ourselves at the sites so it will be awkward and nerve-wracking for the first little while.
I hope everyone is enjoying their time before heading back to class. I'm usually on msn in the mornings (my time) which is around 10:30 pm or so in NL. Sometimes I'm on in the evenings my time too which would be around 1:00 pm or so at home.
Hi Holly, thanks very much for the great comments and pictures. I really love the blog. Are you noticing hogpog of electrical wires? I love the stone steps and 'neatness' of the houses and also colours.
ReplyDeleteAt work today I was talking to a new social worker in child welfare who just started. She is from India and did social work there. Her name is Chitcha (close)age 27. She said she is from western India and has been to Pune several times. She said she has friends and family there so if you ever need help, to just let her know. (I will let your mother know) She talked about how cosmopolitan Pune is but also how the discrepancies and the hieracy of needs is so different then here.
Keep up the good work - tell us about the food which I love to hear.
PS
I think you may be just north of the equator which means that it gets dark and the sun rises about 6:30 every day. This lends a 'serenity' and rhythem to life that will make you always want that in your life again.
Hi Holly:
ReplyDeleteLove the commentary and glad you are settling in. I will be following this avidly. Am really happy you are having this time and know that you will benefit greatly from it. I am envious. BTW - did you get a chance to see Slumdog Millionaire? It is a phenomenal movie and a lot of it is set in Mumbai. Don't forget to send us pictures of you in your new outfits.
hi holly its pierce from ontario.hope your having a great adventure and having a wonderful time
ReplyDeleterod my mom carly and parker all say hi